Sunday 25 October 2009

SatNav - postcodes and grid references



Driving across Europe the TomTom was an invaluable tool. It really has changed the way I drive. Yes I still have local Michelin maps of the specific area, in France. I carry a European road atlas to get an overview of the main roads but the navigating the last 5 -10 miles was always the harder part. Which exact turning is a hotel on? A local one-way system can force you away from where you want to head to. If you see a road sign to your destination will you miss the next sign or is it omitted as you are so close but you can’t see your hotel? SatNav’s just take the last few miles of stress out of your driving. At the end of a journey you are a little bit tired, it may be getting dark and you just want to get to you hotel. I really can’t praise them enough. On our car we have a couple of neat safety features that I use heaps of the time that have meant I have to not worry about speeding tickets. The car has cruise control (sadly not predictive type that slows down a little if you are behind a slow moving line of traffic) and a variable speed limiter that I use in conjunction with the TomTom. So when I am on the autoroute and it is not raining I set cruise control to TomTom speed of 130kmph or 70 mph over here, easy. Then on a 40mph zone I drive till TomTom again is showing a true 40mph and click the speed limiter. So I can’t get a ticket. Andorra showed what happens with no map coverage navigating to hotel old fashioned way achieved, but took more time and again thankful for other half to spot road signs.   In Andorra I liked the church architecture public water fountains.  Fianl point whatever you do in Andorra tank up before you leave, see how cheap the fuel is there.





No comments: