Thursday 15 October 2009

The World's Tallest Bridge - Grand Viaduc du Millau



This is it, the world’s tallest bridge, here I'll get information from Rough Guide France quote, "in 2004 a 2.5km bridge supported by seven enormous pillars that, at times, puncture through the cloud level (the tallest is 326m high, taller than the Eiffel tower)." It really is an amazing structure. There is a visitor centre that is worth a look, not that I can remember the tonnage of steel needed to build it or all the other information. I do know that it is monitored by a security control room 24 hours a day 7 days a week and there is an enclosed deck beneath the motor way for access, I think. The figure I remember is that the Canary Wharf tower in Docklands is less tall than the motorway. The pyramid topped Canary Wharf tower in London could be beneath the motorway bridge. That to me is a French sign of engineering excellence. This is what I fear England would not do.

No comments: