Monday 19 October 2009

Wonderful Spanish People

We had left Andorra and drove through the Spanish side of the Pyrenees and stopped for lunch in a small town called Vielha. This was just somewhere to stop as this had taken a good few hours’ drive, which was through truly spectacular scenery. But a stop was needed. This showed how although I speak very little French I do understand the language. If I have time to look at a menu in French I can have an idea of what the food will be like, I can least understand the main pieces of the dishes. Spanish, zero chance. At this wonderful restaurant proved. The Spanish waitresses were wonderfully helpful though. They too spoke almost zero English, no one spoke French, and NO way did they speak French. So we reached an impasse. But they were keen for us not to leave, so we sat outside and enjoyed the view. Then the head waitress brought out three of the five first course dishes which was my guess as the menu was split into entree, main course and dessert and an option of one of each. But that I found amazing they brought out three of the dishes on their arm and explained pointing at the menu what they were, in Spanish. What absolutely amazing service. The other two items were explained, in Spanish as well, so we ordered and then the main course was ordered and dessert. All of the food was so nice it was untrue and I saw €9.00 I thought that must be for each course maybe I was expecting maybe €27 each plus the drink cost. The whole menu was only €9.00. It was so good service and food was so nice. As we sat outside and though of the amazing countryside we had been through and another point was of interest. The main waitress who drew the short straw and was assigned to us was actually not Spanish, although she looked and spoke what seemed to be Spanish, she was from Colombia.

No comments: