Monday 22 September 2008

weekend away

There is always something really nice about visiting the parents, a chance to get out of London, a chance for a little bit of change of scenery. The food, cooking like it should be. But getting out of London reveals what driving is about. There are tourist films and images of driving along English country roads, fields on each side, open spaces. Well that is also what I love about visiting my parents. It is the actually pleasure of driving. In London it is okay at best, judge the time to leave, thread through the traffic watching out that the speedometer does not put you with a massive fine. TomTom is an amassing thing. SatNav just over a £100. This is such a thing taken for granted but to think of what we are using. We have Satellites (24 for US satnav) in orbit and these are what TomTom in the car links to. The fact you know the route is not the reason not to use it. If there is a diversion then known route is useless. But as mentioned I kept speed on way back to 70 mph. I averaged over 38mpg on the way to my parents I averaged about 60 mph and only improved fuel consumption by about 1 mpg which I was surprised about. I just expected 4 - 5 mpg reduction on way back plus I had just tanked up with 60 litres of petrol which must be some weight. All this proves not too much, except with me and my awesome other half it is still cheaper to take the car over the train, plus much easier to lug all the stuff from A to B.

No comments: